The Segments dashboard allows you to create behavioral cohorts of users that can be applied as a filter in other reports. Use segments to group users based on observed activity, and then evaluate habits and common behaviors that lead to success or failure.
Use segments to:
- Define a segment of power users and apply it to the Events report to surface the most common behaviors amongst successful users.
- Define a segment of users that abandon activation or conversion process to surface the behaviors associated with unsuccessful users.
Watch the video below for a quick overview of how segments work.
Using the Segments dashboard
To work with the Segments dashboard:
Go to Analytics in the left pane and select Segments.
The Segments report lists the defined segments, the date range, selected events, and user count.
Select a segment name to see the details of the segment. To return, select Back to Segments in the upper-left corner.
- To refresh the data for a segment, select the refresh icon on the right.
- To remove a segment, select Delete at the end of the row.
Creating a new segment
To create a new segment:
- Go to Analytics in the left pane and select Segments.
In the upper-right corner, select the green button.
- Add a descriptive name for the segment.
Select a date range from the drop-down list:
- To set a dynamic date range, select Trailing 7 Days, Trailing 15 Days, or Trailing 30 Days.
- To select a defined date range, select Static Date Range and then use the calendar selector to define From and To dates.
Note: If you use a trailing date range for segments, it is computed dynamically. A static date range is stationary. Segments can not leverage date ranges more than 30 days long.
Add up to two event conditions, optionally with filters:
- The first condition must be defined as a positive, that is, users who did complete Event X.
- The second condition can be defined as either a positive or negative, but either way, it will be evaluated sequentially relative to the first event, that is, users who then did complete Event Y or then did not complete Event Y.
- When you are done, select Save.